Organization - The Building

Copyright © 2014 BVerfG

The Building

The Federal Constitutional Court has had its seat in Karlsruhe since its establishment in 1951. It was initially housed in the Prinz-Max-Palais in Karlstraße. In 1969 the Court moved into its present official building, located in the immediate vicinity of Karlsruhe Castle (between the Schlossplatz and the Botanical Garden).

The building was constructed between 1965 and 1969, according to plans by the Berlin architect Paul Baumgarten. He deliberately did not design a Palace of Justice. The open construction is intended to convey the impression of democratic transparency. The tallest wing is intended for the public. This is where the courtroom is located.

Building of the Federal Constitutional Court